Wednesday, September 30, 2009

True Colors

From the twins' birth, people have asked us if they're similar in their personalities. In some ways, yes, but in many, many other ways, they're as different as night and day. Larkin and I feel very blessed to have two such different children; they are teaching us so much more by being unique than we would have learned if they had been so similar.

For example, Anna has always been fearless. She must get it from Larkin because I am NOT that way. I don't like doing things that will possibly end in pain, but that doesn't stop Anna from anything. Just today, she stumbled down the stairs twice while wearing my high heels - apparently the first time didn't teach her anything. Will, on the other hand, has always been cautious (not wussy, as Larkin sometimes lovingly refers to him). He loves to play and wrestle with you, but he isn't the daredevil that Anna is.

The kids were "jumping" off of their toy baskets today. The difference in their personalities is completely exemplified in their approaches to this jump.

This was nothing compared to the head-first leap Will took off the couch yesterday. I wish I had been able to catch it on camera because replaying the scene in my mind makes me laugh. He decided that he could jump across the couch - something we discourage because of previous injuries sustained by doing just that. He started at one end and bounced all the way to the other end . . . and then right over the arm of the couch onto the floor. His fall was cushioned a bit by a pile of blankets at the end, but he did hit the floor. He wasn't hurt, but I think it scared him a little. The poor boy didn't even receive any sympathy from his mom after such a terrifying ordeal. I was laughing so hard it hurt. Maybe that is why Will was so careful when jumping off the baskets today. . .

4 comments:

Emma said...

Those guys are just too funny! I remember when I was out there in June and when the twins were on those shelves/table things, Anna and Will scared me to death standing on those. Especially Anna. She is one fearless chick.

Christa said...

I know I always say the same thing....But I love your kids....and you and Larkin. Miss you guys!

Jeni Jones said...

They are so adorable! Thank you for sharing!

Steph & James said...

I love it, Anna's like "excuse me will, I need to jump now"

so cute!