Thursday, August 6, 2009

Houston or Bust!

We're in Texas! Larkin has a job as the technology teacher at Kingwood Middle School for this upcoming school year, so we moved our family down to Houston over the weekend. Larkin's father and brother were so good to us and helped us get here by driving our U-Haul truck with all our stuff. Larkin and I followed them in our car with the twins. How was the 2 1/2 day car trip with two toddlers, you might ask? So much better than expected! The twins were great. We drove for 13 hours on Friday with two stops, 12 hours on Saturday with two stops, and 4 hours on Sunday with NO stops. How amazing are these kids?!

Highlights of the cross-country drive:
Driving through Colorado. Look at these gorgeous mountains.
This rest stop in Colorado. We didn't stop here, but the name intrigued me.
This almost made me wish we had waited a week before making the trip. Almost.


Anna enjoying the punching balls we got to entertain the kids on the drive.

This cloud that looked like a dragon's head.

Seeing billboards for the Oz Museum in Kansas. We didn't go, but had we not been pressed for time, we totally would have. (This picture is for Karen.)

Windmills next to small farmhouses in Kansas. Larkin said that this epitomizes what he pictured Kansas as looking like.

The casino in Oklahoma/northern Texas that looked like Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament.

Welcome to Texas!!!!

A rainbow after a nice Texas rain shower.

The sunset in the town where we stayed Saturday night. (Larkin fell in love with Texas at this point.)

The lone star of Texas in the handicapped symbol.

Waffles in the shape of Texas. (Honestly, you would think Texans would have a little more pride in their state.)

Someday I want to live on the corner of Timber Forest and Forest Timber. Just because I think it's funny.

The easiest part of the trip.

The hardest part of the trip.

The best part of the trip.
We're not in our house quite yet. Our loan is approved, and we're just waiting for the final paperwork to be finished so that we can close. We're told that should happen next week. Until then, Ethan and Lindsay (Larkin's brother and sister-in-law) have been wonderful to take us in and help us not feel homeless for now. We're so grateful to have family around while we make this major transition!

Pictures of the inside of our soon-to-be house:
Kitchen

Living Room

Game Room

Next time you're in Houston, give us a call!

6 comments:

Michelle said...

YEA for TEXAS!!!! I SOO want a Texas waffle maker like that!!! IF you ever see one, buy it and I will pay you back! =) I love the bigger squares, and come on, you gotta admit, Texas is pretty darn great! Your house is beautiful! I love the kitchen--what an upgrade from the red door house!!! Oh, I want to come visit now! Glad the trip went smoothly!!

Amber said...

Wow! I heard you had moved and I pressed Ben for details, but he couldn't give me any more information. I am so glad for the job!!!!!! and the house!!!!!! (the exclamation points have to be separate for these two amazing accomplishments!) It seems most of our friends are moving to Texas :( I am so happy for you two! Can't wait to hear more updates!

Ashley said...

I didn't know you were moving! Congratulations on your beautiful home! We are going to buy a home too! Um, I can't tell you when or where...but someday, we will! Good luck with this new chapter in your lives.

P.S. The twins are adorable!

Andrea Forsyth said...

oh my goodness! that's soooo exciting! congrats on the job and house. and a job and house in texas...man, that's the best.

Christa said...

Love it. Love it all. Love the hair, love the dress, love the shoes. Love it.

Can't wait to come visit!

KS said...

Hi, can you please contact me at kristina (dot) sauerwein (at) me (dotcom). I'm a blogger for BabyCenter's MOMformation and you won the Step 2 play kitchen giveaway.

I'd like to know your shipping address and phone (not for publication obviously) so that the kitchen set can be sent to you.

Also, for a follow up blog post, if you could please tell me the number of your kids, their ages (if you'd like) their names and what you plan to do with the kitchen (meaning how you plan to use it etc)

Also, just verifying that you want the Grand Walk in Kitchen?

Thanks! Kristina