Thursday, May 7, 2009

No One Mourns the WICKED!!!

I was first introduced to the musical Wicked about five years ago. I got the soundtrack and was even so intrigued by the storyline that I read the book (don't, by the way - it's terrible for all sorts of reasons). I looked online to see when it would be in a city where I might see it, including cities in Utah, Colorado, Ohio, Nevada, etc. When I went to NYC four years ago, I stood in the lobby of the sold-out theatre where it was playing hoping that my name would be drawn out of the lottery so that I might see it. Of course my name wasn't drawn. More waiting.

Back around October, I read that Wicked was coming to Salt Lake. Larkin, who I had made listen to the soundtrack on numerous occasions, had promised me that we would go see it if it ever came to a city nearby. This was my chance! Tickets went on sale to the general public in December for the shows in April through May. The morning they went on sale, Larkin and I got online on the laptop and on my work computer (yes, during work hours), and we both started calling the ticket office on each of our cell phones. After FOUR HOURS of online website difficulties due to "overwhelming response" and a phone's busy signal, we got through! Yes, I made Larkin continue trying both methods for four hours. I was desperate. When I finally got to talk to a ticket agent, the only tickets left were for shows on Sundays. I didn't care. We bought our tickets! We bought four, and our friends Russell and Shyla came with us.Us outside of the theatre - so excited!Shyla and me waiting for the theatre to open. I look a little wicked myself in this pictures. That's unfortunate.
Us in our seats. What is that behind us? Yes, it's the wall. We were in the very last seats in the very top row of the utmost rear balcony. Nosebleeds. To the extreme. Luckily, we could stand the whole performance and not block a single person's view. And we could see the whole stage, every actor, dancer, stage hand, etc. This gives you a better idea of where we sat:We actually ended up loving our seats. We made friends with the other poor people around us. We really had a great view of the stage, and most importantly, we got to see Wicked! We absolutely loved it! We'll rave about it for years to come. I've already looked up its tour schedule for the next few months to see when I may be able to see it again. Obsessed? Yeah, okay. But it was also a great opportunity to go on a date with my amazing husband. That alone made it a wonderful night. Thanks to Aunt Sally, Aunt Marie, and Jacen for making it so that we could go. We love you guys!

1 comment:

Amber said...

How exciting for you! I am so glad you were FINALLY able to see Wicked! I, unfortunately, have not had the opportunity to see the show as of yet. I am not sure when I will, but I am sure that I will enjoy it as much as you have!