Friday, June 22, 2012

How We Survived a Week of Scout Camp

Notice that the title says "a week of scout camp" - not "a week at scout camp." The kids and I were not at scout camp, while Larkin was. Thankfully, Larkin doesn't have a job that requires him to go out of town often. The kids and I don't like having him away, so we have to keep ourselves busy. Here is how we survived a week with our daddy gone.
Went to a birthday party and made homemade root beer with dry ice

Saw beautiful rainbows after cool thunderstorms

Made signs to remind us of the jobs Dad gave before he left (William: Peacemaker, Anna: Josh Helper)

Movie night picnic

Built a fort

Read books in said fort

We also went to a splash pad, played at friends' houses, had friends over to our house, and went to the library. But this is an example of how we don't do well when Dad is gone. Tuesday morning, I came out to see why the twins were so quiet. I saw this sight:


They had found a picture of Larkin and were sitting together, just staring at it. When I asked what they were doing, Will said, "Mom, I miss Dad now." (He had been telling Larkin all last week that he wouldn't miss him at all while he was gone. He wasn't trying to be mean; he was honestly trying to be supportive of Dad going to camp.) Later that day, I asked Anna to put the picture away and find something to do. She had literally been sitting around for about two hours just watching TV and looking at Larkin's picture. She put it away and came back into the room crying, saying, "I miss Daddy so much!"

We know we're spoiled with Larkin's job that gives him the summers off and so much downtime during the year. But we wouldn't have it any other way. We love Larkin so very, very much, and we're so excited to get him home tomorrow!

No comments: